My mission is to provide a positive learning community for both my students and myself every day in every way. I believe each of my students is an individual and has a right to have their needs met academically, socially and emotionally, to the best of my ability. In this class we are proud to do our best every day and in every way!



Friday, July 30, 2010

Top 100 Most Commonly Used English Words

So... you want to learn to read - or teach someone to read? I will be posting some of my ideas to share with families to support their children as they begin in their most exciting educational and personal adventure- learning to read. The first part of the puzzle I will discuss is the importance of the knowledge of a base of sight words. That is - words that you can read instantly. This helps build confidence and fluency which both encourage the student to continue on!
Below is a link to the First 100 Most Commonly Used English Words (also the next few hundreds as well!). A good way to use this list is to start reading them with your student and stop when they make 5 mistakes. Write those words on index cards, put them on a ring, and practice them until they know them for sure! Then back to the list you go...

Good luck and keep me posted on your progress!

http://www.duboislc.org/EducationWatch/First100Words.html

No comments:

Post a Comment