My mission is to provide a positive learning community for both my students and myself every day in every way. I believe each of my students is an individual and has a right to have their needs met academically, socially and emotionally, to the best of my ability. In this class we are proud to do our best every day and in every way!



Monday, September 27, 2010

We Can!

It's Friday afternoon, backpacks are ready,  we are waiting for buses to be called and what are my students doing? Lining up for one more chance to read their sight word rings! Really!! They are so motivated to read their words that some got back at the end of the line to sneak in another read!!

I started the students on an individualized reading/spelling program and boy are they loving it! Each student reads to me from a list of first grade words, when they make 5 mistakes they go on their word ring. The first grade list is followed by a second and third grade list and when that is mastered their challenge changes to spelling words from a list of leveled words created from the most frequently used words used in writing. As they gather 3 tallies on the back of each word for a successful read/spelling they pull the word off the ring and it goes in the class "I Can" can. When that gets filled it's party time in 1A!

I'll keep you posted!


You can see their word rings hanging from the velcro strip in the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment