Here are some activities to develop the beginning stages of mathematical understanding of numbers:
- First have your child simply count - try to get to twenty - do not forget about 13 & 14! 17 either!
- Now have them identify the numbers in order 1-20 simply written in a row.
- Now mix those numbers up and have them put them in order.
- Now you are ready for the number grid. Play with the interactive number grid at the site below.
Here are some number grid activities you can do to develop number sense:
- Call out a number and have your child color it.
- Find patterns: count by 2s, 5s, 10s. Numbers beginning with... ending with...
- Count to a number and back from a number.
- Race to 100 with a roll of dice.
- Roll two dice use the number grid to add...subtract.